Quality-of-life should be a non-negotiable.

Increased property crimes

Although violent crime rates have dropped, there has been a significant increase in property crimes in our city.  This problem continues to directly affect homeowners and businesses, creating unease in our community and affecting our quality of life.  Of serious concern are both the increased number of early released offenders due to AB 109, and the loss of leverage for law enforcement to get offenders into substance abuse treatment due to the passage of Proposition 47.  We have inadequate pre-sentencing jail space, which has resulted in an 80% failure to appear to court rate, and strained an already overburdened police department. Compounding this issue, the recession has hit Redding harder than other communities, resulting in decreased revenue to pay for an adequate number of officers.  Redding is just now coming out of the recession, but our current staffing levels, particularly community service officers is inadequate for our population.  

The City of Redding spends 36.7% of its budget on police and 26.3% of its budget on fire, for a total of 63% on public safety. We need a bigger revenue stream to increase funding for both the police and fire departments.